We have an advertising relationship with stores we link in this post.
Laundry seems to be a never ending cycle in my four person home! As soon as I think I’m caught up, there is another load ready to be thrown in. Use this recipe to make your own laundry detergent and save some moolah!
- Borax (1/2 cup)
- Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (1 cup)
- Fels-Naptha Soap Bar
- 5-gallon bucket with lid
- Empty detergent containers (or milk jugs)
- OPTIONAL: Laundry scent boosters or essential oil drops
1) Grate the entire bar of Fels-Naptha Soap.
2) Add the grated soap to a pot with 4 cups of hot water. Over medium-low heat, continuously stir until all of the soap flakes have dissolved.
3) OPTIONAL: Add in some laundry scent booster sprinkles or a few drops of essential oils to give your detergent some fragrance. (I used Gain Fireworks scent boosters)
4) Fill a 5-gallon bucket half full with hot water. Pour in soap mixture. Add 1 cup of Arm & Hammer washing soda and 1/2 cup of Borax. Give it a good stir.
5) Fill the rest of the bucket with hot water until it is full and stir again. Cover and let it sit overnight. (excuse my stained bucket)
7) The next day, open the bucket and give it a good stir again. Using a funnel, fill your empty containers!
In life, there are a lot of things we have no control over. Take control over you laundry detergent and budget!