A fresh spin on the ever delightful Tomato Basil Soup
The cold weather has arrived in the Northeast, that means its time for sweaters, blankets, and soup! Indulge in my fresh take on everyone’s favorite Tomato Basil Soup.
Someday I’ll expand on my mother’s lack of culinary skills (she’s great at so many other things!), but for now I will tell you how I had never had homemade tomato soup. Thank you Campbell’s for always being there. Now that I have broadened my personal culinary proficiency, I am excited to share this ever appeasing recipe with you. Become mom of the year and delight your family.
For this specific soup, I used Roma Tomatoes, but any sweeter tomato will suffice.
Homemade Tomato Soup
- 8 Roma Tomatoes , or 6 regular, chopped
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Cook the garlic, carrots, and onions, until the onions are tender.
- Add the chicken stock and water, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend the soup until smooth.
- Return the blended soup to the pot and stir in the chopped basil and parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.